Husband filed for divorce without telling me what to doHusband filed for divorce without telling me can be due to great differences and unresolved issues. This complete guide provides you with the steps to follow and some possible reasons for this situation.

Our experts will also guide you through the consequences which may result from this and the remedies that are available.

What To Do if Husband Filed for Divorce Without Telling Me?

According to the family law process, your accounts and other official documents and documentation will be examined, so the first thing to do is to avoid taking any significant actions or acting in any way that could be interpreted as suspicious.

– Follow the Process

The court prohibits you from making any significant purchases or other purchases, cancelling or altering the conditions of your family insurance (including life, health, auto, or homeowner/renter), or selling any property in which your spouse might have an interest once you have been served with divorce papers.

After receiving divorce proceedings, you have a strict 30-day window in which to submit a judicial response. The Petition for Dissolution of Marriage will address issues including child custody, child support, spousal maintenance, debt division, and property division, depending on your situation and those of your spouse.

The next step is to schedule a court date. While waiting for the court date, keep an eye out for any hearings on urgent concerns or other potential events. Your husband should have served this paperwork to you as well.

A court will sign a document at the conclusion of the divorce case that resolves all concerns, including custody and parenting time arrangements, property and debt division, child or spousal support, insurance, and other matters. The default judgment of dissolution of marriage is the name of this document.

– Remain Calm

Remember that you don’t have to panic. Whether the divorce was something you and your husband have discussed or it was a surprise, it can be painful and stressful to get the divorce papers. What you should know and do next has been outlined above.

Keep in mind that just because your spouse filed for divorce, it does not mean that they are in a better situation.

Reasons Behind Husband Filing for Divorce Without Telling His Wife

Before receiving divorce papers, the great majority of couples already know they are getting a divorce. The two have probably not gotten along for a long time, and there may have even been much debate about the idea of separating, if not getting a divorce outright.

While some spouses may request a divorce amicably, it does happen on rare occasions for one spouse to file for divorce without first alerting the other. Even though divorce is a difficult situation to deal with in general, it can become chaotic when it happens unexpectedly. There are several reasons a spouse might serve papers on their partner without informing them. Among the more frequent ones are:

  • The spouse has become weary of their partner.
  • The spouse might not be able to find or locate the partner.
  • The spouse has found another person they would prefer to be with.
  • The spouse may have substantial wealth they don’t want to share.
  • The spouse may think that they want something else.

Although it is someone’s legal right to decide they no longer wish to be married, they do not have the right to keep their spouse in the dark about it.

Is It a Legal Right To Know That You Are Going To Be Divorced?

No; in accordance with family law, you could wait until the papers were served to your spouse and let that do the talking. However, in most situations, it might be regarded as poor manners to avoid discussion.

– Exceptions

In practice, it is a requirement of the court and the petitioning party in every court in the nation that the wife is informed that her husband is pursuing a divorce. The causes behind this are clear.

A person who is fully uninformed that a divorce decree is being sought against them should not be granted a divorce by a court. This is a legal proceeding, and every court in the nation is required to uphold the legal rights of everyone participating in any court case. The same is true for all civil legal actions. However, there is an exception to this rule.

There are numerous occasions when a spouse filing for divorce cannot find their partner. In this situation, the court may rule that it is unreasonable for that spouse to be forced to remain married simply because the other spouse’s location is unavailable. In this case, they can issue a divorce. There are, however, a number of quite rigid requirements for how this can be constructed.

Divorcing a Spouse Who Cannot Be Located

You probably won’t be able to complete service through any of the conventional means if you don’t know where a process server can look for your spouse, but don’t give up. There are options available to you in the courts on how to proceed with your divorce.

– Alternative Ways

If you are unable to locate your spouse, you can request that the court adopt an alternative means of service, such as newspaper publication. In certain courts (such as those in Texas and California), you only need to file a form with the county clerk to request to serve in an alternative manner. In many courts, you must file a “move” to request authorization to use another method.

– Make Diligent Efforts

The judge will want you to show that you’ve made diligent or reasonable efforts to find your spouse before the court will allow a request to utilize an alternative means of service. Before allowing you to employ an alternate means of service, each court has its own definition of what constitutes sufficient effort. In most cases, you’ll need to show that you’ve made an effort to serve your partner at their last known address of employment, residence, or any other location where it’s possible they could be found.

You might also need to demonstrate that you’ve tried to find out if your spouse is in jail or staying with family. Your chances are high of the judge granting your motion if you can demonstrate that you attempted to serve your partner at least three times before requesting alternative service.

– Service by Posting in a Courthouse

“Service by posting” is an uncommon alternative service technique. This implies that a notice will be posted in the courthouse closest to your spouse’s last known residence by either you, the county clerk or the sheriff.

You can request service by posting on some court forms, which should come with posting instructions. Some states, like California, only permit you to use service by posting if you file a fee waiver for your divorce because you are unable to pay the filing or publication fees.

– Service by Publication in a Newspaper

Following that, the other spouse must typically be notified in a public declaration that a divorce is being sought against them. Most demand that this appears over the course of three or four consecutive weeks in the local newspaper.

The majority of the time, you’ll need to publish an advertisement in the neighborhood newspaper nearest to your spouse’s last known address, and you’ll have to pay to run the advertisement for a specific period of time (usually at least three weeks).

The newspaper determines the price for publication. Although you are liable for the expenditures, you might be able to get your spouse to reimburse you for them later on in the process.

Even though it’s uncommon, some courts have permitted spouses to serve notice via Facebook. The court will outline your options when you ask for alternative service and may grant the divorce if the opposing party does not show up in court to confirm that they have read or seen the declaration in the newspaper and that they want to halt the process.


Divorce is unpleasant and expensive, especially if one of the parties disputes the divorce, refuses to be served, or cannot be found. Getting your spouse served, whether they are abroad, in jail, or purposefully omitted from the divorce process, may be essential for completing your divorce because courts occasionally frown upon one-sided divorces.Husband filed for divorce without telling me tips

  • Simply put, you must give your spouse copies of the filed legal paperwork after filing divorce papers with the court. Frequently, you must do this in person.
  • You can submit a motion with the court asking for permission to serve your spouse by publication if you are unable to locate them.
  • In the motion, you will need to submit details detailing your attempts to find and serve your missing spouse.
  • A spouse may renounce their right to take part in the process by declining to reply to a divorce petition. You might have to inform the court if they’ve responded but choose not to participate.
  • It’s a good idea to include evidence of personal service attempts, as well as internet search results, the last place you saw your spouse, and their last known address.

We hope now you could take diligent steps to respond to the application of divorce. Read this article to know the rights, responsibilities and the process involved in these situations, and we advise you to consult an attorney if you do not know the process.

5/5 - (12 votes)
Divorce & Finance