Can A Public Defender Represent Me In My Divorce?

Photo of author

By Divorce & Finance

You do not have a right to a public defender in divorce matters because divorce is a civil matter and public defenders only represent indigent (poor) people facing criminal charges.

If you are in a difficult financial situation and are looking to get divorced, there are other options available to you that won’t cost you money.

Can You Get A Court Appointed Attorney For Divorce?

Court appointed divorce lawyerIf you’re getting a divorce and wondering if you can get a court appointed divorce lawyer or a public divorce attorney, you cannot because they do not offer public or court appointed attorneys in divorce matters.

If there is anything worth fighting over in courts, such as a house, money, debt, or property, we recommend getting an attorney.

If you cannot afford a lawyer or are on a low-income and require legal assistance in your divorce, you may be eligible for legal aid assistance.

Legal Aid Services

There are legal aid offices (also called legal services) throughout the United States.

Legal aid is a not-for-profit organization that provides no-cost or low-cost legal assistance for indigent or low-income individuals. If you are indigent (a financially challenged individual), they may represent you at no cost—pro-bono—and will file all fee waiver papers on your behalf.

Before receiving legal help, you’ll need to answer a few questions and provide documentation to prove that your income level meets the requirements for their free assistance. You’ll need to do some research to locate the legal aid office in your area. A simple google search can provide you with the details of the nearest legal aid office. Once you’ve found your closest legal aid office, you can call them to discuss the application process.

Legal aid lawyers have the same qualifications as other lawyers. A lawyer-client relationship binds everything you say. This relationship entails that the lawyer will keep all the information you share in strict confidentiality and not be shared with anyone outside of the legal aid office.


Divorce often poses unique issues and challenges for all parties, especially if minor children are involved. As there are no court-appointed divorce lawyers, you may be considering representing yourself. However, it’s important to note that self-represented parties still have to pay court fees, which can cost a few hundred dollars (depending on which state you’re in).

If you’re considering representing yourself, we strongly advise you to first get a free divorce legal consultation from an attorney specializing in family law matters. Legal information you get from such free consultations will help you understand some of the legal issues that you may not be aware of in your case. Self-representation may save you money now but may end up costing you more time and money in the long run if your divorce is a bit more complicated.

If you decide to go down the self-representation route, you will be relieved to know that you can apply to have the court fees associated with the divorce waived if you are poor or on a low income. The self-representation process aims to help people with limited financial resources end their marriages. However, you will need to qualify for the waiver.

How to get a court fee waiver in a divorce matter?

Man learning how to get a court fee waiver in a divorce matterThe first step in getting the fees waived is to check online to find your local divorce or family court for the relevant form/s you need to download, complete and file. You will need to get the forms to file for divorce as well as the fee waiver form. There is usually an instruction booklet that you can download, which will help guide you through the divorce process.

If you can’t obtain them online, you can opt to get the forms from your local family law courthouse. You can also speak to a court clerk at the courthouse who can give you some brief answers to questions about the divorce process.

It is important to remember to check and see if you meet your state residency requirements. You cannot file in your state unless you meet them. You must fill in all necessary details, including information about the children of the marriage, assets, debts, date of marriage, the reason for the divorce, and indicate whether you seek child support, alimony, or division of marital assets.

The application will also require you to provide a notarized affidavit from you explaining your financial circumstances and why you cannot pay the court fees.

– Providing Financial Proof

To have the court fees waived, you will need to qualify for a low-income divorce. To qualify, you will need to prove to the court that you are indigent.

You will be required to submit proof of your income, assets, and debts, including Social Security income, child support, disability and payroll, bank accounts or cars, credit card, loans, and utility bills. Tax returns may also be requested.

– File for Fee Waiver

Once you have completed all the form-filling, you need to file the documents at court.

Notarized documents for court fee waiver in a divorce matterThese documents must be notarized before filing them. Check to see who provides notarization services in your city, or you can ask the clerk to notarize the forms for you when you file them.

After you file, your paperwork will be reviewed by a court employee or by the judge. A hearing may be necessary so the judge can ask you some questions. Your fee waiver may be approved, or the court might decide to defer your fee, which means you can pay it later. This is common if your ex has assets and will be paying out some to you as part of the divorce judgment or settlement.

A court employee or the judge will check your application after you file. It might be appropriate to hold a hearing so the judge can ask you any questions. A judge will then decide whether or not to approve your fee waiver or defer or delay your fee so that it can be paid later. A deferral of the fee waiver is common when your ex has assets and will pay you out as part of the divorce judgment or settlement.

Once the waiver is approved, your case will move forward. The simplest way to proceed is to file a settlement or appear in court and tell the judge together what your settlement is.

Another option is to move ahead with the divorce as an uncontested procedure, where your ex does not even need to appear. The process will be relatively quick, and you will get your divorce without paying any fees.

– Bar Association & Pro Bono Divorce Lawyer

If you do not qualify for legal aid, you can contact your local bar association, an organization for lawyers. You can call your local bar association’s lawyer referral service to find a licensed, private, low income divorce lawyer or ask if they can refer you to a lawyer who offers free legal counsel for a divorce or one that can represent you for a reduced fee.

A lawyer can meet with you for 30 minutes to an hour to discuss your case. Some lawyers offer a small initial consultation fee, while some may even provide a free initial consultation. It is imperative to carefully review the fee agreement before hiring a lawyer to start working on your case.

You may also be able to ask whether or not the bar association can refer you to a pro bono lawyer or a volunteer lawyer’s program. A pro bono or volunteer lawyer can take on your case for free. Finding a pro bono lawyer to represent you in your divorce matter may require some research because pro bono lawyers are not always readily available for a simple divorce matter.

Pro bono divorce lawyer

Seeking legal advice and assistance from a qualified lawyer is always recommended for any legal matter. Ring around to several lawyers and ask whether or not they offer a free divorce lawyer consultation.

This is an excellent way to help you secure a free legal consultation that will provide you with valuable information and direction regarding your matter. During the consultation, you will be able to ask questions, and the lawyer will be able to provide you with some advice and guidance on how to proceed and what type of legal fees are involved.

– Legal Document Preparers

If you don’t qualify for legal aid but still need help with your divorce application, you could use the services of a business that prepares the paperwork for uncontested divorces.

Paralegals in divorce, commonly referred to as legal document preparers or LDPs, could help organize the paperwork. Legal document preparers aren’t allowed to give you individualized legal advice. (Only licensed lawyers can do that.) However, they can prepare forms using the information you supply and file them with the court.

Legal document preparers are available in person and online, and you will be asked to fill out a questionnaire and provide your information for the preparation of the legal forms.

The LDP will transfer the information onto the forms, and then either you or the LDP can file them with the court. The fee for doing the paperwork for an uncontested divorce varies from about $175 to $700, depending on your location, whether you have children, and whether you need a separate settlement agreement. Before deciding on one, it is essential to do a bit of checking. Find out how much experience the LDP has, check online feedback, see if there are any limitations on LDP work in your state, and get a reference if possible.

It is crucial to get the right legal advice and representation for your legal affairs to avoid delays and extra costs.

Remember you have many options available to you, including:

  • Self-representing yourself – You may be able to self-represent in non-contested divorce matters that aren’t complicated; however, you still need to research & understand the law, have a good temperament and follow instructions. Otherwise, It is highly recommended that you seek legal advice & representation
  • If you’re a low-income earner contacting your nearest legal aid office to determine whether you qualify for legal aid assistance is an excellent place to start.
  • Contact your local bar association to get more information about pro bono lawyers that could help you can also be quite handy.
  • Don’t be afraid to ring around to a few lawyers’ offices, inform them of your circumstances, and you may discover that their legal fees are not as expensive as you may have thought.
5/5 - (13 votes)
Divorce & Finance