Child custody and living with girlfriend: a lot of fathers worry about this topic. There are a lot of misconceptions that having a new partner is going to affect having custody or visitation to children. But, this does not have to be the case.

This guide is going to explain how having a new girlfriend does not usually have to affect child custody — only in certain circumstances will this be the case.

Can Living With a New Partner Affect Child Custody?

It is quite common for someone to find a new partner even before there has been the finalization of a custody order in court. It is important to realize that, if you are living with a new girlfriend or boyfriend, this should not be something that loses custody of your child. For example, if you enter a relationship with them after a divorce or after splitting with your partner, it does not have to be a problem for child custody.

But something you have to be aware of is that a court will think about the living situation a child will have with you. This is going to include recognizing that there is a new partner on the scene. For instance, if there is a belief that a new partner might pose a risk to your child, this could affect child custody.

The most important thing to a court, no matter what state you are in, is the child. In other words, the judge always puts what is best for the child first in every decision they make in the court. The priority is ensuring that the child is going to have safety and security where they live, as well as emotional support. Their health, education and other factors are taken into consideration too.

What Happens if a New Partner Is Deemed a Risk to the Child?

Unfortunately, if your new partner is going to pose a risk to your child, this is going to affect the custody you have over them. For example, you may be denied full or equal custody due to your partner. This could be because they have been convicted of a crime, have a problem with drugs or are an alcoholic.

It is also possible that visitation can be limited if your partner is a risk to your child. This could mean that you only have supervised visitation, which means someone must be present when you see your child.

A court is going to analyze whether a new partner is a risk and danger to the child. For instance, an ex-partner can simply feel threatened by a new person coming onto the scene and spending time with their child. This is not a legal justification for stopping custody or visitation. The court is only going to consider the child and not personal matters that only concern the parents and their relationship.

Is There a Way To Stop Romantic Partners Spending Time with Children?

It is possible for a parenting plan to outline how children interact with their parents and their partners. In particular, both parents can agree to sit down and create a plan where they both feel comfortable and that puts their child first.

For example, a parenting plan and outline the best way for each parent to introduce a new romantic partner to their child. There can be details about how the introduction should go and what the time they spend with them looks like.

It is easy for partners to get jealous when there is a new boyfriend or girlfriend involved with their former partner. But it can be a benefit for a new partner to be in the child’s life. This can be someone else to provide security and safety to that child, as well as someone to have fun with. It is not all bad when there is a new partner around, and more and more families do well with co parenting with new girlfriend or boyfriend.

Can a New Girlfriend Babysit My Child?

If you have a new partner, it is possible that they are able to watch or babysit the child for you. This is as long as they get along with the child and they are going to be a good caregiver in your place. They must be a competent person and not pose any threat to the child.

There might be some circumstances where a new partner is not allowed to babysit the child. This is going to be when there are certain clauses and obligations in a parenting plan. Alternatively, there might be a court order that says a partner or someone other than the parents are able to watch the child.

When Is the Best Time To Introduce a Child to a New Partner?

There was one case that said you should introduce your new partner to your child after six months. After one year, they can stay overnight during parenting time. However, the judges made it clear in this case that this was not an overall ruling that was going to apply to every case.

Instead, it was because of the peculiar circumstances of that family and the impact on that child. This means that there is no set time on when you should introduce your new partner to your child. The law does not control when you do this or even if you should do it at all, unless there is an order or parenting plan in place.

This decision is going to be yours and you should decide based on what you feel comfortable with and what the best is for your child.

Perhaps some general advice is wait until you think the relationship is serious. If you feel like it is going somewhere and there is going to be a future, this can mean that you introduce your child to your new partner. The last thing you want to do is upset your child by bringing a lot of new people into their lives only to disappear after a short while.

A child may also display some anger and resentment if you move on too fast from their other parent. You should be aware of this and if you believe that a partner may cause a problem, it might be best to delay introducing them until your child is more accepting and comfortable. Your priority should be your child and making sure they feel comfortable during visitation or when you have custody of them.

Does a New Partner Affect Child Support?

After a divorce, it is possible for the husband or wife to receive child support from the other. The purpose of these payments is to help take care of the child and provide them with everything they need. This can include paying for food, education, clothing and other items they need.

If you are in a situation where you are living with a new partner, you may wonder if this is going to affect you receiving child support. Often, this is not the case and you are going to continue to enjoy payments. A court will consider your income when you are receiving child support. Even if your partner is working and has an income, this is not something that matters for your child and taking care of them financially.

A lot of people get confused with spousal support. This is something that you receive after a divorce if you are in financial difficulty. The other spouse can pay you regular money in order to help you financially after breaking up. When you have a new partner and get married, this can mean that the spousal support ends.

But this is different from child support. Even if you get married, this does not change the other parent’s responsibility to financially provide for the child.

Will I Lose Custody of My Child for Adultery?

One of the most common reasons why partners break up is because of adultery and being unfaithful in a relationship. Often, the person that cheats on their partner is worried that their actions may affect the custody they receive of their child.

However, most states do not punish a person for infidelity in a relationship. Thus, just because you have cheated on your partner does not mean that you are going to lose full or equal custody of your child.

This is rarely a factor that is taken into consider and the court looks at what is best for the child. They are more concerned about other factors that might affect your ability to care and look after your child.

However, if you have put your child at risk as a result of the affair, this might be something a judge looks at. It could mean that your custody or visitation is limited since there is the potential for you to act like this again.


So, does cohabitation affect child custody?

The answer is no most of the time, but there are some circumstances where problems might arise.

Let’s summarize everything you need to know about a custodial parent moving in with girlfriend.

  • There is no rule to say that you cannot date or find a new partner when you are finalizing a custody order in court.
  • Typically, having a new partner is not going to mean you lose custody of a child or your visitation rights.
  • However, a court will consider the living situation for a child when there is a new partner on the scene.
  • The court has one priority and that is the child in each case, making sure they are safe and secure.
  • The only way that co-parenting with a new girlfriend might affect custody or visitation is if they are dangerous or have committed a crime.
  • In some cases, there might only be supervised visitation because of a dangerous partner.
  • Feeling jealous or romantically threatened by a new partner is not going to stop them from seeing a child.
  • A parenting plan can be a good way for both parents to agree on how any new partners should be introduced to their child.
  • A new partner may be able to babysit as long as they are competent to do so and do not pose a threat.
  • There is no legal time period of when you should introduce your child to a new partner.
  • You can choose when to introduce a partner unless there are clauses in a parenting plan.
  • Living with a new partner should not affect child support since it is not like spousal support.
  • Adultery is a common reason for marriages ending but it should not affect child custody or visitation rights.
  • Adultery will only affect custody if it is shown you put your child in danger as a result of the affair.

It is possible to move on and have a new partner and still enjoy time with your child through custody or visitation. The most important thing is that you put your child and their needs first.

5/5 - (12 votes)
Divorce & Finance